Do you shy away from pointing out your accomplishments at work? Expect others to acknowledge and value your contributions? Suffer from a disease to please? Do you always have to be perfect? Behaviors and traits that serve you well at the start of your career may create problems later on. They could prevent you from climbing the corporate ladder or landing your dream leadership role.
In this episode, Lisa Martin’s interviews guest Sally Helgesen, author, speaker, and leadership coach. Sally helps women leaders recognize, articulate, and act on their greatest strengths. She is the co-author of, How Women Rise: Break the 12 Habits Holding You Back from Your Next Raise, Promotion, or Job, which describes specific habits that get in the way for women and powerful practices to help them reach their full potential.
Highlights of Today’s Episode:
● 04:55 12 Habits/Behaviors to Break in the Workplace
● 05:42 Top 3 Most Common Habits
● 06:54 Successful Career Built on 3 Legs: Expertise, Visibility, and Connections (EVC)
● 09:00 Why women want to be invisible
● 10:25 That wasn’t meant as a compliment.
● 12:03 Don’t get trapped by your expertise and nowhere to go
● 13:29 Perfectionism can be a career killer
● 17:10 My name is Lisa, and I ama Marshall Goldsmith groupie
● 17:30 Leverage relationships; ask for help, but don’t over-invest
● 24:10 4 steps to get comfortable with what makes you uncomfortable
Links and Resources in Today’s Episode:
● Sally Helgesen
● Sally Helgesen on LinkedIn
● How Women Rise: Break the 12 Habits Holding You Back from Your Next Raise, Promotion, or Job
● Premier Women's Leadership Expert Sally Helgesen Teaches Women How To Rise
● The Female Advantage by Sally Helgesen
● What Got You Here Won’t Get You There by Marshall Goldsmith
● Stakeholder Centered Coaching: Maximizing Your Impact as a Coach
● Among Wall Street analysts, men benefit more from their networks than women
● Frances Hesselbein
● Lisa Martin
● Flourish Success Path
To share your thoughts:
To help out the show:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help me to tailor the content to specific areas and topics you want to hear more of.
LIKE THIS POST?
Sign up for my updates. Don’t leave without becoming a Lead + Live BetterTM Insider. I’ll send you a FREE eBook as a thank-you.