Not everybody likes Tom Cruise. He’s a little bit weird. We don’t fully understand the whole Scientology thing all the time, right? I once heard a comedian say he really liked the movie where Cruise played ‘the cocky young guy.’ I laughed.
But I remember reading a magazine article years ago about Cruise — a long, in-depth profile — and one part stood out more than anything. The writer talked about his presence. How he held the room. All eyes seemed to draw into him. When he met people, he remembered small details of meeting them before, years ago.
Sign up for my free 30-minute webinar called 5 Ways To Build Presence. Register here
The author, who had profiled other famous people, said he could only think of two others that had this: Bill Clinton and Will Smith.
All pretty famous, successful people — and while I’m sure they are held together by many factors, one of the biggest was this idea of presence.
When I coach some of my magnificent-but-didn’t-star-in-Risky-Business clients, I get this question all the time: why do some people have ‘it’ and some people seem not to? Why do some come to dominate a room and others slink back into it? We’ve seen research that 26% of a promotion comes from this idea of leadership presence.
So how do you get it?
Through decades of working with CEOs, attending seminars, reading research, and picking the brain of other coaches and presenters, I have a good idea of the formula. I can help even an introvert become the star of a networking event or trade show — although admittedly the introvert probably wouldn’t want to be.
I’m hosting a 30-minute webinar on 2/21 (that’s a Tuesday) at 10 am PST/1 pm EST on this issue of leadership presence. We’ll be discussing:
- Why presence is the ‘X Factor’ of the business world (and who’s got it and who doesn’t)
- How people who exude presence are able to easily influence others and get what they want (including promotions and more pay)
- A mini assessment to determine if you (and your team) possess a high level of presence OR obnoxiousness (no one wants to believe they’re obnoxious, that’s why they are blind to it)
- The 5 elements of building presence and why you need to master each one
- How body language says more about you than you think
- The most important thing leaders must do support their people to improve their presence
- An inside look at how I teach presence in the Lead + Live Better™ Intensive – my interactive, online leadership development program
I’d love to see you there. You can register below.
P.S. This isn’t the exact article I referenced above, but it covers some of the same topics around Cruise and other big-time celebrities in terms of presence.
LIKE THIS POST?
Sign up for my updates. Don’t leave without becoming a Lead + Live BetterTM Insider. I’ll send you a FREE eBook as a thank-you.